Today I want to discuss the importance of fresh air and sunshine! Chances are you spend most of your time indoors breathing stale oxygen-depleted air full of dust, wastes, toxins, and microorganisms. This can lead to fatigue, headaches, anxiety, and respiratory illnesses. So why are you spending your time going from building to building? Your body really depends on oxygen and sunlight to for health and energy, so it’s time to step out of your house, step out of your office, step out of the gym, go outside and get some fresh air!
Fresh air has the highest level of oxygen and it has so many powerful benefits:
- It improves your concentration.
- Is necessary for your body’s energy and metabolism
- It puts you in a good mood by boosting serotonin levels
- It strengthens your immune system.
- When you take deep breaths, it improves your lung’s capacity to force out toxins and waste
- It helps improve your heart rate and blood pressure
- It helps reduce sore muscles by reducing lactic acid build-up when you exercise. So make sure you don’t just work out indoors at the gym!
- It contains negative ions that boost your mental clarity, mood, and overall feeling of well-being. Concentration is highest after rain, on windy days, around vegetation, and in abundant sunlight.
Sunshine also has many of the same benefits as well as a few more.
One of the main reasons our bodies need sunshine is to produce vitamin D. If you don’t get enough, and many of us don’t, it can lead to all kinds of problems like headaches, weight gain, muscle cramps, insomnia, and even give you a 70% increased chance of developing cancer! Vitamin D not only raises your energy level, it helps prevent depression, high blood pressure, autoimmune diseases, and allergies in children. It has even been linked to the prevention of breast, ovarian, prostate, and colon cancer.
- Gives you energy through vitamin D production.
- Is a natural antiseptic – it can kill molds, viruses, bacteria, and dust mites.
- Is great therapy for skin conditions like exzema, psoriasis, and acne.
- Helps with digestion and elimination.
- Puts you in a good mood by increasing serotonin levels as well as producing endorphins.
- Increases red blood cell production – these carry oxygen throughout your body.
- Increases white blood cell production – these are a vital part of your immune system and fight off infections and disease.
- Improves liver function so it can better eliminate toxins from your body.
- Speeds up your metabolism.
- May even lower your blood cholesterol levels, cure insomnia, and slow down the ageing process!
There are three things you need to know:
- Dark skin requires more sunlight than light skin.
- You only need 10 minutes of direct sunlight per day to stimulate vitamin D production.
- UV light does NOT produce vitamin D through glass, so sitting next to a sunny window won’t cut it.
So my dears, how about taking a brisk 15 minute walk every day? It seems to me that between the trees, fresh air, sunshine, and even rain, not to mention the walk itself, you could feel pretty amazing all of the time. It’s such a small time investment and the benefits are huge.
- Do it first thing in the morning to relieve stress, raise your metabolism, and boost your energy and focus for the rest of the day.
- Do it during your lunch break to soak up the maximum rays and reset your mind for the afternoon.
- Do it after dinner to help process your day, your meal, and control your weight.
I can tell you from personal experience (and scientific research) that if you do this walk for 2-3 weeks in a row, it will become second nature – a habit you won’t be able to imagine living without. You don’t have to do it every single day – 5 times a week is also just fine. You also don’t have to limit yourself to 15 minutes. For those of you with a higher fitness level, the time, and the desire, 20-40 minutes are also great. Just keep in mind, this walk not meant to be a heavy workout. It should give you energy, not exhaust you.
So do yourself a favor. Get out there and expose yourself to the elements! It will change your life.
Enjoy your walks!