It’s kind of a bummer living without dessert when you’re trying to lose weight and I sometimes grab an apple with my after-dinner tea, but this feels more like a treat. Chia seeds are one of the most nutritious foods on earth! They are high amounts of antioxidants and are loaded with protein. Almost all of the carbs in them are fiber, which will help you lose weight. They are high in calcium, magnesium, and phosphorus. In fact, they contain more calcium than most dairy products, so you should definitely add them to your diet. They are high in protein, which can drastically reduce your appetite and those late night cravings! I could go on and on about them, but I won’t bore you. You can easily add them to shakes, yogurt, or oatmeal, but here’s a tasty after-dinner treat that should keep you from getting the late night munchies!
Vanilla Chia Pudding
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk (I like roasted almond milk)
- 1/2 cup chia seeds
- 2 teaspoons natural vanilla extract
- 1 Tablespoon agave, or honey
- Place the ingredients in a container or bowl and mix well.
- Place covered in the refrigerator and mix every 1-2 hours until set. Mixing is important since the seeds will fall to the bottom of the container. If you don’t mix it now and then, it won’t set properly.
- Will keep 5 days in the refrigerator, so you can make a few in advance!
You could also add a bit of cinnamon or cardamom for a little extra hint of flavor.
If you want to make it in portion sized jars, like I did for this picture, then put this amount in each jar, close, and shake well. Follow recipe above.
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 Tablespoons chia seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon natural vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon agave, or honey
After we’re done with our detox, try adding some fruit or homemade preserves as a topping! You could also try making it with chocolate almond milk. 😋